Bitesize Guide to

Children's Residency

Children’s residency and travel documents.

We are all naturally concerned with protecting our children. As minors, they are covered by our own rights of residency represented by our Carte de Séjour.

But, what else can we do?

~ A child born in France to non French parents, who has lived and attended school in France for the qualifying period, can obtain French nationality

~ This could pave the way for non French-born siblings to acquire French nationality

~ To ensure smooth border crossings, a DCEM (Document de circulation pour étranger mineur) is a travel document for children of Carte de Séjour holding EU and TCN parents. Free for EU citizens, it costs 45 euros for TCNs (Third Country Nationals). Click here for details.

~When children are travelling without parents, remember that they always need an AST (Autorisation de sortir du terroir)

~ At age 16, in some préfectures and under certain conditions, they may be able to apply for their own CdS. See here for details.

~ At 18, they can apply for their own CdS. Click here for details.

*Beware* If your child is intending to study abroad, they risk losing their rights to residency or/and French nationality and returning home for holidays is important

More Bitesize Guides


Email: (Press and general enquiries)

Special Email:

(For cases that may not be possible through the website and messenger)

Registration Pending