Moving to France After Brexit

What if you want to move to France after Brexit?

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and the terms of our departure are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement (WA). Under the terms of the WA, a UK citizen living lawfully in an EU country on or before 31 December 2020, will benefit from being covered by the terms of the WA.

Please see 1 February 2020 and beyond for more details about the dates relating to the UK leaving and the Transition Period (TP).

When the UK left the EU, it became a ‘Third country’ and UK citizens will became Third Country National (often referred to as a TCN).


Some things to note

  • You were be able to move to France up to and including 31 December 2020 and enjoy the benefit of being covered by the Withdrawal Agreement (WA). 


  • If you are not covered by the WA and want to stay more than 90 days in France you will have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel - see the French visa site 

  • Legal residence will be harder after 31 December 2020 - they could include language and other integration requirements. An integration contract. You need to meet the OFII rules.


  • Your employer or company will need to obtain permission for you to work.

  • As a Third Country National, you would be able to spend no more than 90 days at a time in the Schengen area unless you have a visa.

  • In the next couple of years, the Schengen area will introduce the ETIAS scheme - the European Travel Information and Authorisation System. 


What about those who currently live in both the UK and France?


Those that live between the UK and France though are in a more vulnerable position.

Many people have been used to coming and going without restriction. As an EU citizen, you were permitted to spend 3 consecutive months in another EU country and at that point, the question of exercising treaty rights comes into play. ETIAS could change your situation along with expected increased border controls.