Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permits

Post Brexit



The UK is no longer a member of the EU.

On 1 February 2020 we became 3rd country nationals but those legally resident in France before the end of the transition period (31 December 2020) enjoy some protection from the Withdrawal Agreement ​

On 19 October 2020 a new online system was launched to apply for Withdrawal Agreement Residency Permits (WARP).  Full details are available in the series of guides linked under this heading. The portal was due to close on 30 June 2021 but on 1 July 2021, the French government announced that the online application portal will remain open until 30 September 2021 for those who were unable to apply by 30 June 2021. If you submit your application from 1 July 2021 to 30 Sept 2021, please indicate in the comments section of the online form the reason for your late application.

Please note the application portal is now CLOSED. However the type of evidence required to prove lawful residence by 31 December 2020, remains the same.


If you were lawfully living in France by 31 December 2020 and have not applied for your WA RP, please read Applying After The Portal Has Closed.

If you are joining a family member and are both covered by the WA, please read Joining a Family Member.

WA Permits Guide - Overview of Process

WA Permits Guide - Status/Evidence

WA Permits Guide - Acceptable Proof

WA Permits Guide - Technical 

On 31 December 2020, the transition period ended.

UK passport holders moving to France after 1 January 2021 are NOT afforded protection under the WA unless they are a family member* moving to join a UK passport holder who does qualify for protection.

Information on applying for a visa to stay long-term or to live in France can be found here


*The EU definition of a Family member is as follows: (a) the spouse; (b) legal partner (c) the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependants and those of the spouse or partner as defined in point (b); (d) the dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined in point (b);